is less toxic to humans than animals. Every part of elephant's ear
is toxic since it contains insoluble oxalate crystals, similar to other plants
in the Araceae
family. If its sap gets into the eyes, it may cause redness, pain, burning and swelling. Whichever part of the plant
is eaten, the crystals released can irritate the mouth and gastrointestinal tract, causing discomfort to the throat, and burning pain to the stomach. Consuming in large quantities will cause more serious cases. Possible death is caused by swelling that obstructs the airway and makes it difficult to breathe. The unique leaves of the elephant's ear
make it an ornamental plant
. Please take precautions to avoid children and pets if you're growing it. If severe poisoning symptoms occur after ingestion, consult a doctor immediately. Wipe the mouth with a cold, wet cloth and drink milk to relieve this as first aid.