is toxic to most animals, including cats, dogs, horses, and all livestock. Poisoning most often occurs due to the ingestion of the plant
. Symptoms include excessive salivation, swelling of the mouth, vomiting and diarrhea. If consumed in large quantities, blisterwort
can also cause bloody urine, tremors and in rare cases even seizures. When it comes into contact with the skin, protoanemonin causes irritation, blistering and swelling. The toxin protoanemonin can be found in all plant
parts with the highest concentration found in flowers, which makes them the most toxic part of the plant
. Due to the bitter taste of blisterwort
, animals generally will not consume enough amount of it that lead to severe results. However, livestock are sometimes forced to eat them when they do not have much else to eat in an over-grazed field. If they do, symptoms include bloody diarrhea, blood in the urine, drooling and salivation, blistering in the mouth and, for horses, colic. Notice that drying can inactive the toxin which means if fully dried blisterwort
is mixed in the hay, harmful results will not occur in livestock.