The risk of erroneous ingestion is low before virginia creeper
bears fruit. But when the fruit matures, it is easy to attract children to eat it because its fruit is similar to grape
s. With low toxicity, it contains needle crystals of oxalic acid. The crystals are sharp and can easily penetrate and destroy cells, leading to cell lysis. Erroneous ingestion can stimulate the oral and gastrointestinal system, resulting in severe swelling and pain of the mouth and throat, dysphagia, diarrhea and other symptoms. Contact with sap from virginia creeper
may cause allergies or rashes. In addition, this plant may contain other toxic substances. It is reported that eating fruit can cause death in children. If eat or touch its fruit or sap, it is advised to rinse your mouth or wash the affected area with clean, cold water.
If severe poisoning symptoms occur after erroneous ingestion, consult a doctor immediately.